One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large tropical American tree-nesting duck, having glossy greenish-black plumage in the wild but bred in a variety of colours as a domestic bird.
Cairina moschata, family Anatidae
- ‘The Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission said Muscovy ducks are not considered wildlife and are not protected birds.’
- ‘The menu here is diverse and includes albacore ceviche, crispy pizza with chorizo sausage, and Muscovy duck confit with white beans.’
- ‘One or two Muscovy ducks will keep your garden free of snails and are not noisy as some breeds of ducks can be.’
- ‘Since the good rain, snails have bred up, take action now to get a Muscovy ducks, or remove the snails by hand or use snail bait, particularly on seedlings.’
- ‘Imprint was right to point out that Millie was a Muscovy duck - a native of South America.’
- ‘Three things that I didn't know earlier about Muscovy ducks: They are strong fliers, they like to perch on houses, gates, trees, fences and barn roofs, and they are really quite tame.’
- ‘Its primary ingredient is heart and liver cells from Muscovy ducks.’
- ‘If you're angling toward red meat, order the sweetly gamy Muscovy duck, or the lamb, which is encased in a pepper crust.’
- ‘In the elegant Alexander Girard-designed room, choose from a wine list of several hundred vintages and entrées like black pepper Muscovy duck steak, which reflects the region's Spanish influences.’
- ‘Here I observed a number of domestic ducks, including a Muscovy duck, a mallard hybrid, and the Pekin duck, along with a greylag goose.’
- ‘Rack of lamb and five-spiced Muscovy duck are both beautifully prepared, just as the John Dory with tomato and the sea bass with fennel are both tender as a child's first yawning, but the results are too placid.’
- ‘The bland blue-fin-tuna carpaccio seemed to have been previously frozen, and my salad of thinly sliced Muscovy duck tasted properly gamy but dry as shoe leather.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.