Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Indian cooking) chicken:[as modifier] ‘murgh kebabs’
- ‘The murgh jalfarezi of chicken strips tossed in ginger, tomatoes, scallions and bell peppers in a tangy sauce of carom seeds for €17 was another success, as was the meen moilly.’
- ‘At the festival, the non-vegetarian fare includes murgh Avadh, mutton Nizam, and Malabar meen and anda Biryani, all of which have their distinctive flavour.’
- ‘Among the dishes that would be served would be thandai, pakodi ki kanji, shakarkandi ki chaat, dumba biryani, handi murgh, paneer khushrang and gulab ki kheer.’
- ‘There's also a zinging jhinga turka (prawns with green chillies and yoghurt), Parsee chicken masala with lentil dhal and murgh samundri with a rich bhuna sauce.’
- ‘Like the chefs mentioned, ‘Other meals were right out of mother's kitchen… dishes such as channa dal with soy leaves and murgh teeka.’’
- ‘Butter naan, tandoori roti and laccha paratha are available - you can have these with a choice of palak kofta curry, mutton roganjosh or murgh tikka masala.’
- ‘His murgh sarisha (sliced marinated chicken cooked with potato, garlic, tomato, mustard and coriander) got a fairly enthusiastic thumbs-up.’
- ‘The most recent influence to be felt in Britain has been the arrival in the 20th century, via India and Pakistan, of much of the vocabulary of Persian food (for example, biriani, garam masala, kebab, murgh, nan, pilaf, tikka).’
- ‘Sample sheek kabab, sink your teeth into tandoori chicken or relish dum ka murgh.’
- ‘That was not all, for there were enough and more helpings of roghu veppudu, murgh mussallam, chilly hot fish, tenderloin London stew and sheekh kebab biriyani, all for the non-vegetarians.’
From Urdu murġ, from Persian murġ bird, fowl.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.