One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Decorative glassware of a type associated with the island of Murano near Venice.
- ‘From each large ceiling rose in the living rooms hangs a Murano glass chandelier from Venice.’
- ‘During the last refit, the restaurant was handsomely redecorated in a grand British hotel style with dark-wood paneling and leafy, gold-flecked Murano glass chandeliers.’
- ‘Now, the space bears a French salon-like elegance, inspired by a green and purple Murano glass lamp by Donghia and heightened by the surprisingly large-scaled furniture.’
- ‘One large installation, called Drip, Drop, Plop, is made of huge black Murano glass tears that ‘fall’ down the wall and pool on the floor.’
- ‘From large lamps to bathroom sconces, tiny caviar spoons to oversized Italian silver, large paintings and a Murano glass decanter, all are apparently no problem for some patrons' sticky hands.’
- ‘Hand-blown at a glassworks in Venice, each of these 50 pairs of nested Murano glass spheres is unique, with wobbly contoured bluish-white glass balls caught inside clear glass ones, all seeming just on the verge of melting.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.