One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
treated as singular A contagious and infectious viral disease causing swelling of the parotid salivary glands in the face, and a risk of sterility in adult males.
- ‘Malaria, mumps and tuberculosis, once considered eradicated, are on the rise again.’
- ‘You may be resistant to typhoid or cholera, but it doesn't mean that you are going to be resistant to hepatitis, measles or mumps.’
- ‘But he is now convinced there is no evidence of any risk from the measles, mumps, rubella vaccine.’
- ‘Angus was given the mumps, measles and rubella inoculation when he was 15 months old.’
- ‘Other viral illnesses such as mumps and rubella may also trigger Bell's palsy.’
- ‘Those most at risk of getting mumps, which can lead to fertility problems, are aged 14-22.’
- ‘Almost all children need to be inoculated to prevent measles, mumps and rubella regaining a grip.’
- ‘Complications of mumps include meningitis, encephalitis and deafness.’
- ‘Because mumps is caused by a virus, it cannot be treated with antibiotics.’
- ‘Older individuals are more likely to have had mumps when it was still a common childhood infection.’
- ‘The mumps virus is contagious and spreads in tiny drops of fluid from the mouth and nose of someone who is infected.’
- ‘Doctors believe that about one in three people may have a mumps infection without symptoms.’
- ‘Neurologic complications, such as deafness, can also occur as a result of mumps infection.’
- ‘Measles, mumps and rubella are unpleasant diseases and an epidemic in this country would be disastrous.’
- ‘If you or your child contracts mumps, it can cause swelling in one or both parotid glands.’
- ‘Measles, mumps, rubella and chickenpox can all be far more serious if you contract them as an adult.’
- ‘The combined MMR vaccine is the most effective and safe way of protecting your child against measles, mumps and rubella.’
- ‘This is because mumps is very contagious and is spread through coughs and sneezes.’
- ‘Some parents worry that the combined measles, mumps, and rubella vaccine might overload their child's immune system.’
- ‘Cases of mumps hit the highest level since records began during April to June this year.’
Late 16th century: from obsolete mump ‘grimace, have a miserable expression’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.