One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A boy or man who is excessively influenced by or attached to his mother.
- ‘He carries candy around in his pockets, admits to being a mama's boy and rarely goes out with teammates, instead spending most of his spare time playing video games in his room.’
- ‘The survey also uncovered that there are quite a few mama's boys out there.’
- ‘It's totally about the attitude, and there is no reason why playing quiet music means that you have to be a simpering mummy's boy.’
- ‘I was a bit of a mummy's boy, and I recall her being very soft, very supportive.’
- ‘He's smaller than the others and he's a little bit of a mama's boy, but he's also the fiercest.’
- ‘At the same time, he's too much the sissypants mama's boy to actually throw in the towel.’
- ‘On one occasion she claimed she found a note in different hands which said: ‘Adam's got big ears and if they were any bigger he would fly’ and ‘Adam's a mummy's boy, always crying’.’
- ‘‘We're all such mama's boys, we couldn't stand to move away,’ says Johnson.’
- ‘He's 5ft 10 in of mush; a mummy's boy with a penchant for cowboy hats and a ‘warrior’ tattoo.’
- ‘I have a feeling that Callum's a real mummy's boy, and that he'll get pretty jealous of the new baby.’
- ‘It is a slight mystery how you can say you're in a ‘great relationship,’ save for the fact that your fella is a mama's boy who's vowed he will live with her forever.’
- ‘There is a stubborn stereotype of young Spanish men as homesick mummy's boys, who live in the parental home until well into their 20s and are happiest among their friends from the pueblo.’
- ‘I want a mummy's boy who sits on my knee all day and tell me he loves me.’
- ‘He was in particular a mummy's boy and would do any thing for me like carrying the shopping, brushing my hair and if my back hurt he would tie my shoelaces.’
- ‘I get along with my mom and I obey her, but I'm not a mama's boy.’
- ‘But my worst fears were realized when, in a heated argument, a woman I had started dating called me a mama's boy.’
- ‘I'm very close to Mum - a real mummy's boy, to be honest.’
- ‘Alexander's story is one of palace intrigue, a bad marriage between fiery, feisty parents and a determination to impress his father Philip, who is inclined to dismiss him as a mummy's boy.’
- ‘I have a bad enough reputation without being labeled a mama's boy.’
- ‘A little mama's boy still living at home probably won't need this, however, it is essential for any average guy living on his own.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.