One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A performance by mummers.dumb show, pantomimeView synonyms
- 1.1mass noun Ridiculous or extravagant ceremonial procedures.‘that's all it is, mere mummery’
- ‘The United Nations is a dim hive of self-interested parties engaged in endless parliamentary mummery, united by a consensual delusion that all nations are equal.’
- ‘The puerility and sloth of the students, the pure nothingness of the curriculum: it's all sham and mummery, gutless as a haiku poem.’
- ‘Controversy surrounded the early years of the priest's incumbency due to accusations from local newspapers of increased levels of ‘Popish and Pagan mummeries’ within St Michael's services.’
- ‘In the Enquiry he called Catholics ‘devotees of superstition’ and Catholic liturgy ‘mummeries.’’
- ‘The traditions of the latter three in divine service were largely those that came to American shores: plain people worshipping plainly who would have no truck with papist mummery.’
- 1.1mass noun Ridiculous or extravagant ceremonial procedures.
Mid 16th century: from Old French momerie, from momer (see mummer).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.