Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of an aircraft) capable of performing several roles.‘a multi-role helicopter’
- ‘Without a strong partnership between industry and the warfighter, it would have been impossible to transform a space-age stealthy fighter into the ultimate multi-role, peerless air dominance machine.’
- ‘Rather than allowing them to lapse into obsolescence from their early role of dropping iron bombs, they have been progressively upgraded to make them what they are today - truly multi-role aircraft.’
- ‘The A129 International is a multi-role helicopter for armed reconnaissance and surveillance, high-value ground-target engagement, escort, fire support, and air-threat suppression.’
- ‘The company designs, manufactures and distributes a full range of machine guns, mounts, pods and rocket launchers to equip multi-role helicopters and subsonic aircraft.’
- ‘The Thetis class are multi-role frigates for fishery protection, surveillance, air-sea rescue, anti-pollution and ice reconnaissance.’
- ‘She carries a 100 mm gun, anti-submarine torpedoes, a Sea Sparrow launcher, Harpoon, Phalanx close-in anti-air weapons and two multi-role helicopters.’
- ‘The naval Super Lynx is a multi-role helicopter for anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, search and rescue and utility operations.’
- ‘The Tornado is a two-seat, all-weather, multi-role combat aircraft, in use with the armed forces of the UK, Germany, Italy and Saudi Arabia.’
- ‘Their design, development and delayed introduction into service were controversial but not entirely unexpected considering the radical design and initial specifications for a multi-role aircraft.’
- ‘The Hawk 200 is a single-seat, lightweight multi-role combat aircraft for air defence and ground attack missions.’
- ‘The B - 52H is the US Air Force's long-range, large-payload multi-role bomber and is known as the Stratofortress or the Buff (Big Ugly Fat Fellow).’
- ‘The Philippines' legislature passed a military modernization program in the mid-1990s that called for the acquisition of modern multi-role fighter aircraft and patrol boats.’
- ‘The HOT ATM (Anti-Tank Modular) system, developed in 1997, is a multi-role system for observation and reconnaissance as well as being a weapon system.’
- ‘The multi-role combat organisation, in my personal view, is the future.’
- ‘The B-1B is a multi-role, long-range bomber, capable of flying intercontinental missions without refueling, then penetrating present and predicted sophisticated enemy defenses.’
- ‘People and systems must be capable of multi-role employment.’
- ‘The multi-role fighter can be armed with air-to-surface, air-to-ground and anti-ship missiles, as well as rocket pods, bombs and cluster bombs.’
- ‘The aircraft, to replace the Boeing 707, will be known as the multi-role tanker transport and will significantly upgrade the Air Force's air-to-air refuelling capabilities.’
- ‘The destroyer will be a highly potent, multi-role platform capable of operations across the spectrum of tasks from peace support to high-intensity warfare.’
- ‘It began its career as a prestigious civil transport and later became a multi-role military aircraft.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.