Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A diesel or electric passenger train of two or more carriages powered by integral motors which drive a number of axles throughout the train.
- ‘Between 1978 and 1984 he came into contact with asbestos while working on diesel multiple units at BRB Ltd.’
- ‘Of course, multiple unit diesels with one engineer can do it, but it takes a lot of diesel horsepower to match the steam engine at speed.’
- ‘The Divisional Railway Manager of Bangalore Division said that initially diesel multiple unit trains will be operated from the Cantonment station.’
- ‘I discovered that multiple unit train sets catering to regular passengers ran the same route hourly at no charge to Eurail pass holders - but without gourmet meals and tour guides.’
- ‘About 150 guards in the RMT union at Midland Mainline have given the company notice of four 24-hour strikes in an escalation of a long running dispute over the safe operation of multiple unit trains.’
- ‘He said that the new train needed to have ‘head end’ power, not underfloor engines which other diesels' multiple units use.’
- ‘The railways gradually phased out the steam locomotives following the introduction of diesel engines and diesel electrical multiple units.’
- ‘Don't forget that quite apart from the showpiece diesel hydraulic main line locomotives mentioned earlier, the works also produced dozens of diesel multiple units for BR and again there is not a single mention of any of this.’
- ‘The Central London, originally equipped with locomotives, went over to Sprague-control multiple units in 1901; main-line railways in Paris and Berlin adopted it for suburban trains.’
- ‘It was opened in 1992 to serve the new fleet of BREL-built Class 159 diesel multiple units being introduced by British Rail's Network SouthEast business.’
- ‘Evening star, warship diesel, hydraulics, multiple units and the like came under the British Rail, Western Region banner.’
- ‘If you have 12-coach trains ie 3 multiple units, you need 12-coach platforms.’
- ‘The electrical multiple unit operates on outer suburban routes and takes passengers from King's Cross station in London to Peterborough in Cambridgeshire and King's Lynn in Norfolk.’
- ‘Management wants to run multiple unit trains with only one guard.’
- ‘Normally the privately - run Wensleydale Railway operates diesel multiple units between Leeming Bar, Bedale, Leyburn and Redmire, but its staff have restored four Mark 2 coaches and a Pullman car for use this summer.’
- ‘Roundhouses were designed for steam locomotives and not easily adaptable to diesels, the turntable being a serious impediment to servicing multiple unit consists requiring them to be disconnected.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.