Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1In or relating to more than one phase.
- ‘In terms of protolith identification, many existing interpretations of the Langavat Belt do not fully consider the intense, multiphase deformation that it has suffered.’
- ‘This multiphase rifting led to the formation of distinct structural domains along the passive margin.’
- ‘The outer hydration shell of proteins can be considered in this region as a multiphase system at the first approximation, with phases of different ‘freezing points’.’
- ‘It also includes tools to handle complicated multiphase workflows and supports a variety of land development projects.’
- ‘If a radiologist with special training in gastrointestinal radiology is available, multiphase barium upper gastrointestinal studies are an acceptable alternative.’
- ‘The initiative was established in March 1994 as a multiphase project investigating the effect of the health care environment on the safety and quality of patient care.’
- ‘The hospital is working on a large, multiphase redevelopment effort that will merge its three sites into two.’
- ‘These later data would instead support a multiphase model of elastin, where the fine details of the protein structure and, in particular, its interactions with water, play a crucial role in understanding its elasticity.’
- ‘This drives the requirement for a multiphase data model approach.’
- ‘An iterative inverse method has been also applied to multiphase tectonics to separate several superimposed tectonic events.’
- ‘Similarly, imaging of dense slurries and multiphase flows is not yet within practical reach because of the many interfaces of these systems.’
- ‘Although it may be common for structural geologists to assemble fault-slip data without regard for their ages, such an approach is flawed for multiphase deformation in which the principal stress axes change orientation.’
- 1.1(of an electrical device or circuit) polyphase.
- ‘The company will be able to design circuits with clock speeds of up to 10 GHz by using the multiphase clock generator.’
- ‘The S receiver is driven on the basis of first multiphase clocks and receives strobe signals.’
- ‘When the generator GN is driven to rotate at a predetermined rotational speed, a counter electromotive force arises in a multiphase phase coil of the generator GN.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.