Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Characterized by several different modes of activity or occurrence.
- ‘Their experience of literacy will have included not just print, but other multimodal elements including image, sound, symbol, gesture, maps and graphics, the use of space and experiences of interactivity.’
- ‘We used three multimode fibers with different core diameters, namely, 50, 100, and 200 m, for collecting fluorescence.’
- ‘Most devices are multimode allowing them to run in either single ended or low voltage differential.’
- ‘For example, recent studies demonstrated that orienting attention to a nonpredictive auditory cue improves visual perception and modulates neural activity in multimodal areas as well as modality-specific visual areas of cortex.’
- ‘This requires not only multimode phones but also a common core services layer.’
- ‘The focus of the project is to support human-to-human interaction across language and cultural barriers, and to do research in pervasive multimodal and multilingual computing environments.’
- ‘Particularly for multimode systems, it is important to ensure that some minimum length of fiber is included in the test in order to ensure adequate optical mode fill.’
- ‘Patients who score more poorly on cognitive tests may benefit from coping skills training approaches that are more concrete and taught in multimodal, interactive, repeated rehearsal formats.’
- ‘Standard multimode and single mode cables are supported.’
- ‘The scattered light is then focused into a multimode optical fiber in which the fiber core acts as a pinhole for confocal microscopy.’
- ‘The invention uses a fiber optic transceiver to provide low latency, high bandwidth channels for such interconnects using a robust multimode fiber technology.’
- ‘AthosCal, a prototype multimodal calendar application, runs on several platforms including PDAs and desktop computers.’
- ‘A multimode optical fiber was used to deliver the light from the tungsten-halogen lamp to the detector.’
- ‘Both training groups participated in a multimodal rehabilitation program that included relaxation, aerobic training, behavior modification, and four sessions of physical therapy.’
- ‘It is a move to a balanced, multimodal system that matches each transport mode to its best use, respects people and the environment, and addresses transport demand as well as supply.’
- ‘Furthermore, she suggests that rather than attempting to reconcile the differences, we might consider ‘social connectedness to exist in a kind of multimodal continuum’.’
- ‘We are particularly interested in unlinked distance since it represents passenger kilometres by each mode, regardless of whether the mode is part of a multimode trip or a single-mode trip.’
- ‘‘We are focusing on a market that is inherently multimode and there are a number of entrants in that market,’ said Lodge.’
- ‘The main difference would be that it would concentrate not on one mode, but on the way modes work together in multimodal texts.’
- ‘You can use multimode or monomode fiber-optic, but also coaxial copper cable.’
(of a frequency curve or distribution) having several modes or maxima.
- ‘However, synoptic weather codes predicted patterns of migration even in calm winds and we often observed a multimodal distribution of simultaneous tracks at a single site, presumably under similar wind conditions.’
- ‘If a mismatch distribution is multimodal, a history of population stability can be inferred.’
- ‘None of the histograms suggest multimodal distributions and tests of normality indicate normal distributions.’
- ‘Chromosomes 1, 4, 5, 6, 8, and 10 seem to have bimodal or multimodal distributions.’
- ‘A constant-sized population is expected to show a ragged, multimodal distribution, while an expanding population shows a smooth, unimodal distribution.’
- 2.1(of a property) occurring with a multimode distribution.
- ‘With a large enough h the density estimate can always be made to appear unimodal; with a small enough h the density estimate can always be made to appear bimodal (or even multimodal, having more than two peaks).’
- ‘These density estimates will initially be bimodal or multimodal, but will become unimodal once h increases past a certain critical value.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.