Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boat with two or more, especially three, hulls.[as modifier] ‘multihull sailing’
- ‘First briefing at 12: 30 January 8th, races begin for multihulls at 14: 00 and monohulls 14: 07.’
- ‘It was a wonderful feat and to actually arrive in front of the multihulls is amazing.’
- ‘There are only four other multihulls on the planet capable of such speed.’
- ‘All members of the RVYC and their invited guests, and all multihull classes recognized by the RVYC are eligible to participate.’
- ‘All multihull classes recognized by RVYC will be eligible, as will all members of the RVYC and their invited guests.’
- ‘Schoolchildren were given the day off to mark Ellen's homecoming and were among thousands who lined Cowes Parade as she sailed triumphantly past in her record-breaking multihull B & Q before stepping ashore to be mobbed by well-wishers.’
- ‘The deal was that he would help look after their two young boys on weekdays and sail with Cam - a four-time world champion in small boats and a legendary multihull ocean racer - on weekends.’
- ‘And where, during all this, were the multihull sailors?’
- ‘What do you get when you put a blank sheet of paper in front of the world's top multihull sailboat designers and tell them to let their imaginations run wild?’
- ‘On Sunday, the regatta gets underway at 10: 00 a.m. for monohulls and 11: 00 a.m. for multihulls.’
- ‘The under-16-year-olds Optimist sailors (many as young as nine) were fearless - not only of the north-easterly, but the awesome speed of the multihulls zooming in and out of their fleet of tiny craft.’
- ‘A collective roar of approval came from the big crowd of multihull sailors on the beach - except one skipper who was standing, staring intently at his stopwatch.’
- ‘Capsizing a multihull is not like rolling over in a monohull, whose keel usually causes it to roll upright again.’
- ‘A total of 15 boats participated, including eight monohull and four multihull sailboats, and three powerboats.’
- ‘I remember too late that smart multihull sailors pack earplugs.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.