Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or fulfilling several functions.‘a multifunctional optical-disk drive’
- ‘If I were ever limited to growing just one herb it would have to be parsley, one of the most multifunctional of all plants.’
- ‘The resort will also include a multifunctional complex with dining and entertainment venues and a golf clubhouse, as well as tennis courts and swimming facilities.’
- ‘The brief was to create a multifunction hall, meeting rooms and storage.’
- ‘Apart from the strong demand in multifunctional buildings there is also a strong investors' interest in buying and renting storage facilities.’
- ‘The multifunctional role of agriculture in the EU, including its environmental, food quality and rural development roles, would be abandoned.’
- ‘The playground will be multifunctional, half of it will be a basketball court and the other half will be an area where children can play general games.’
- ‘In addition, they could switch from multifunction buttons to buttons with single functions illustrated by icons.’
- ‘The building will be multifunctional with a large exhibition space, workshop, resource room and meeting space in addition to offices for Trust staff.’
- ‘The next one has to do with multifunction versus dedicated function.’
- ‘First, there is a general acceptance that armed forces must possess the ability to adapt to differing modes of war right along the conflict spectrum by becoming multifunctional.’
- ‘There's just too much choice between single function and multifunction machines, so this Comparison Test should help you find your way through them.’
- ‘Some of the pieces are multifunctional, such as her perforated box vase, which can double as a candleholder.’
- ‘You can also get a multifunction option as well giving you copying functions as well.’
- ‘The origins of gardening lie in growing plants with a purpose and for those who favour the growing of multifunctional flora, the common elder is certainly a plant for consideration.’
- ‘New generations of multifunction DVD drives that support all of the popular DVD media formats have made the competing formats almost irrelevant.’
- ‘In the case of multifunctional genes, this is possible if the critical functions are shared by duplicate genes.’
- ‘In addition to its protective function, the seed coat serves as a multifunctional organ and is involved in supplying nutrients to the embryo sac during seed development.’
- ‘A common theme of all of these small proteins is that some of them have at least two functional roles and can therefore be seen as multifunctional tools.’
- ‘If each gene regulated by a transcription factor is viewed as one function of that factor, then most transcription factors are multifunctional.’
- ‘All of Eric's furniture pieces - whether plastic, metal, or bent plywood - are multifunctional and easily portable.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.