Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A North American deer with long ears and black markings on the tail.
- ‘In recent winters, this has produced the ghoulish spectacle of mule deer, elk and antelope starving to death in endless fields of grass.’
- ‘This 137,400-acre expanse supports prairie dogs, coyotes, foxes, black bears, mountain lions, bobcats, elk, mule deer, and over 200 kinds of birds.’
- ‘Most of our customers are big-game hunters going after local whitetail deer or Western big game such as elk and mule deer.’
- ‘Elk, mule deer, wild turkeys, black bears, and pumas still roam the range, beneficiaries of its remoteness.’
- ‘Chronic wasting disease is a fatal neurological ailment of elk, white-tailed deer and mule deer.’
- ‘Wildlife is plentiful, including jackrabbits, mule deer, elk, pheasant, sage grouse, barn owls, bald and golden eagles, and dozens of species of songbirds.’
- ‘‘Coyotes, skunks, porcupines, gophers… badgers, white-tail and mule deer - we've seen it all,’ Bruce says.’
- ‘But this arid valley is also a place where mule deer and pronghorn antelope come yearly to escape killer mountain snows.’
- ‘The company also makes a variety of lures for whitetail and mule deer, bear and elk, as well as a number of unique cover scents, including cattle, hemlock and desert prairie.’
- ‘Still, South Dakota offers bowhunting opportunities, and it's the jump-off for many bowhunters seeking Western-states mule deer, pronghorn, elk and the nation's favorite, whitetail deer.’
- ‘Stop along this byway to hike across broad plateaus and to admire Rocky Mountain goats, moose, black bears, grizzly bears, marmots, and mule deer.’
- ‘There was no knowing how many other creatures - pronghorn antelope and mule deer among them - had abandoned the premises.’
- ‘The free event is open to hunters bagging white-tailed deer, mule deer, or antelope in Texas during the past year.’
- ‘‘That means deer in a broad sense, including elk, mule deer and whitetail,’ he says.’
- ‘Perhaps a little more exciting to catch sight of (at least for me) is the bighorn sheep, mule deer, bobcat, mountain lion, coyote or one of the amazing birds of prey.’
- ‘Prion diseases occur in sheep, goats, mink, mule deer, elk, cats and cows.’
- ‘I obtained a supply of Ackley's 100-grain, solid-copper bullets believing that they would be ideal for black bear and mule deer.’
- ‘He points to deer as a modern-day analog: While the skeletons of mule deer and white-tailed deer look very similar, the animals themselves have different colors, and their ears and tails are also different.’
- ‘The varied species of trees form the natural habitat for animals like the elk, the mule deer, the coyote, the skunk, the moose, the porcupine, different species of squirrels and birds of all kinds.’
- ‘As of June 2004, the Alberta government tested more than 5,000 heads of wild white-tailed deer, mule deer and elk for the presence of chronic wasting disease.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.