One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A flap that hangs behind the wheel of a vehicle and is designed to prevent water and stones thrown up from the road from hitting the bodywork or any following vehicles.
- ‘On the outside, customers can choose reversing sensors, headlamp protectors, fog lights, front and rear mudflaps, a silver grille mesh, a sunroof, cycle carriers, towbar, alloy wheels on 14-inch rims and ski and snowboard carriers.’
- ‘He's always ordering stuff for that run-down old Chevy pickup of his - things like chrome wheelguards, bedliners, Jeff Gordon mudflaps, and those ‘Bad Boy’ rear-window decals.’
- ‘It also comes in two versions - one tuned for the racetrack and one for the road complete with headlamps and mudflaps.’
- ‘Seen on the mudflaps of a semi truck: ‘Jesus is Love.’’
- ‘Giugiaro claims that it will have an entire line of ‘accessories’ especially designed for the car - think belts and handbags rather than mudflaps and hanging dice.’
- ‘There were at least 30 other cyclists already there, all in full-body rain suits, their mountain bikes equipped with fenders and mudflaps, bike lights, and giant saddlebags.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.