Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Confuse two or more things with each other:‘the words seemed to have got muddled up’
- ‘And so, because I didn't want to go through the rest of my life eating the wrong food and muddling homeopaths up with homosexuals, I selected the weakest lenses and set about choosing some frames.’
- ‘Mr Smith was dyslexic as a youngster and he used to muddle words up; he may have misunderstood matters.’
- ‘Meanwhile, an amusing apology from the Star Tribune for muddling up ‘profligate’ and ‘prolific’.’
- ‘Members of the community with intellectual disabilities will be thrilled about this bill, because they have always felt they are muddled up with people with mental ill-health.’
- ‘This tension in the bill comes from it muddling the issue of compensating prisoners for unlawful treatment by the crown with compensating their victims for pain and suffering.’
- ‘That's another kettle of fish entirely and I despair of physicians and others who confuse and muddle invalidity and melancholy as being one and the same thing.’
- ‘Sadly, that doesn't stop the objectors muddling fact and fiction, as if their main source were Frankenstein, which was a novel written in the 19th century, of all the far away places.’
- ‘He'll muddle it up; which is the illusion and which is real life?’
- ‘"She has a sharp mind but can sometimes get her priorities muddled up.’
- ‘Thus, the matter is muddled up as a manager-employee conflict instead of a pure freedom of expression issue.’
- ‘I think a lot of people muddle celebrities up with soaps.’
- ‘No one could possibly object, for example, if marks were deducted for failing to remember the poem, or for muddling up the verses, or for serious errors of pronunciation.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.