Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A bath in the mud of mineral springs, taken to relieve rheumatic complaints.
- ‘Enjoy a mudbath or massage in our full-service spa.’
- ‘He frequently travelled abroad and it was during one trip in 1973, while taking mudbaths near Naples for his lumbago, that he was overthrown.’
- ‘A mud bath is just one skin treatment that people can have while staying at a spa.’
- ‘Dutifully pursuing my health and fitness theme, I hobbled off to a spa just outside Palm Springs, where I could steep in a hot mudbath.’
2A muddy place.‘the pitch was a mudbath’
- ‘The park could have encountered a festival-style mudbath if it had rained.’
- ‘I read that the weather should be dry this weekend, so it shouldn't be the mudbath it was last year.’
- ‘Mud dragged out by vehicles and heavy machinery entering and exiting the site have turned the road into a mudbath.’
- ‘A helicopter is being used to shuttle hundreds of tonnes of gravel to the remote trail to transform one section of the renowned mudbath into an easy stroll.’
- ‘The riders have been blamed for creating unbearable amounts of noise, ripping up grass, creating mudbaths on public land and even nearly mowing down residents out walking their dogs.’
- ‘It had been pouring with rain for several days and the area was a mudbath.’
- ‘The pitch had made its usual good recovery from last week's mudbath and was in absolutely perfect condition.’
- ‘Hours of non-stop rain reduced the field to a mudbath.’
- ‘The family's new drive became a mudbath and water seeped through the house and garage into the back garden.’
- ‘The valley is a squelchy mudbath and if it wasn't for central heating we'd be wearing wet clothes the whole time.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.