One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a number of drab-coloured freshwater turtles that often haul themselves out on to mudbanks.
- ‘Suspended languidly in the water, a Sonoran mud turtle poked about slowly, ‘going nowhere in plenty of time,’ as N. Scott Momaday would say.’
- ‘In 2002, the Arizona Game and Fish Department began working to develop a conservation agreement for the Sonoyta mud turtle, which is a candidate for listing under the Endangered Species Act.’
- ‘Some, such as the yellow mud turtle, burrow deeper into the soil shortly after hatching, finding safety below the frost line.’
- ‘Cypress trunk flutings and druidlike knees rise everywhere, and mud turtles paddle clumsily through the talmin-mirrored waters.’
- ‘He describes the tiny black seeds, vividly, as being like ‘diminutive mud turtles with head and neck outstretched and projections at the corners where the feet would emerge beneath the carapace’.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.