One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A slimy substance, typically not miscible with water, secreted by the mucous membranes and glands of animals for lubrication, protection, etc.
- ‘The normal physiologic vaginal discharge comprises vaginal secretions, exfoliated cells and cervical mucus.’
- ‘We therefore sought to study the mechanisms by which this increase in airway mucus production is regulated.’
- ‘To increase participation, we also collected nasal mucus by asking volunteers to blow their noses into a paper tissue.’
- ‘Actually coughing is a healthy reflex that helps clear mucus or phlegm in the throat and chest.’
- ‘The bacteria feed on mucus secreted by glands on the worms' backs.’
- ‘Other symptoms include a fever, tenderness over your face, and thick green or yellow mucus in your nose.’
- ‘Physiotherapy helps clear the thick, sticky mucus from the lungs.’
- ‘A person with cystic fibrosis produces thick, sticky mucus that provides a perfect breeding ground for bacterial growth.’
- ‘It is spread by contact with the saliva or mucus of an infected person.’
- ‘The cervical mucus plugs the cervical canal and normally prevents foreign materials from entering the reproductive tract.’
- ‘The conjunctiva contains thousands of cells that produce mucus and tiny glands that produce tears.’
- ‘Your baby's doctor may recommend saline nose drops or saltwater nasal spray to loosen thick nasal mucus.’
- ‘Common symptoms include shortness of breath, chronic coughing and increased mucus production.’
- ‘Excess mucus in the airways causes severe cough and discomfort, and can lead to further obstruction and inflammation.’
- ‘If necessary to loosen mucus in the nose, you can use salt water nose drops.’
- ‘Calcium ions have been mentioned as a possible means of stiffening a mucus secretion.’
- ‘Excess mucus occurs only in some pathological conditions, and makes its presence known in the stools.’
- ‘Dysentery was defined as the presence of blood and mucus in the stools.’
- ‘Davis worries that inhibitors of mucus secretion might block activity of beneficial proteins.’
- ‘Coughing is good because it helps to clear foreign objects and mucus from your lungs and breathing tubes.’
- 1.1 A gummy substance found in plants; mucilage.
ooze, sludge, muck, mud, mireView synonyms
- ‘The tube feet, arranged in groups of three on the pinnules, are coated with mucus that ensnares the prey.’
- ‘Mucus produced by the plant provides temporary and effective protection from petroleum damage.’
- ‘This plant secretes mucus from a stalk.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.