Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An epithelial tissue which secretes mucus, and lines many body cavities and tubular organs including the gut and respiratory passages.
- ‘The olfactory organ is located in the mucous membrane lining the uppermost part of the roof of the nasal cavity.’
- ‘The entrance to the digestive tract, the mouth is lined with mucous membranes.’
- ‘The ways in which these infections come to the body to begin with, are through the lining of the upper respiratory tract, that is, that mucous membrane lining the nose and the throat.’
- ‘Pinkeye, also known as conjunctivitis, is a contagious and painful bacterial infection of the mucous membrane that lines your eyelids.’
- ‘As more blood flows to your body's mucous membranes, the lining of your nose and airway swells.’
- ‘The eyeball is also covered by a transparent mucous membrane (the conjunctiva), which is continuous along the inner surface of both eyelids (the palpebral conjunctiva).’
- ‘As powder is inhaled, it can sensitize an individual through the mucous membranes of the respiratory tract.’
- ‘Liquid leaks out of the blood vessels, making the mucous membranes lining the nose and throat to swell, and stimulating nearby gland to produce mucus.’
- ‘Over the sclera lies the conjunctiva, a clear mucous membrane that protects the eye from becoming dry.’
- ‘The mucus that is produced by the mucous membranes in your sinuses normally drains into your nose through small holes called ostia.’
- ‘The data sheet also states that it is irritating to mucous membranes and the upper respiratory tract.’
- ‘The skin epithelium is not as efficient as the epithelia of the mucous membranes that line the gut and airways.’
- ‘Rhinitis also causes overactivity of the glands in the mucous membrane, causing excessive mucus production and a watery discharge.’
- ‘Laughter Therapy increases the antibody levels in the mucous membranes of the respiratory passages, thereby reducing the frequency of chest infections.’
- ‘The airways also become inflamed with swelling of the bronchial mucous membrane and secretion of excessive thick mucus that is difficult to expel.’
- ‘These responses can occur when materials containing latex come into contact with the skin, mucous membranes, or internal tissues.’
- ‘Avoid use on face or near mucous membranes (absorption through mucous membranes may cause seizures).’
- ‘Sinuses are lined with the same mucous membranes that line the nose and mouth.’
- ‘These fumes are toxic and may have irritating effects on mucous membranes of the respiratory tract and eyes.’
- ‘Gloves must be worn when handling any biologic specimen and when touching blood, body fluids, mucous membranes or non-intact skin of all patients.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.