Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Relating to, producing, covered with, or of the nature of mucus.
sticky, gummy, glue-like, gluey, adhesive, tacky, adhering, adherent, sticking, clinging, treacly, syrupyView synonyms
- ‘Very occasional mucous cells were interspersed with the columnar cells.’
- ‘Saprophytic fungal infestation is the finding of fungal spores on mucous crusts of respiratory passages.’
- ‘Therefore if taken internally they can be extremely toxic and if used without dilution externally, the result will be damage to dermal or mucous tissue.’
- ‘In addition, cool mist moistens secretions, soothes inflamed mucosa, and decreases the viscosity of mucous secretions.’
- ‘The vocal cords are actually two sets of folds formed on each side of the mucous lining of the larynx blending with fibrous tissue.’
- ‘Blood loss through the rectum, mucous discharge, altered bowel habit, and straining are common features of recurrent rectal cancer.’
- ‘Screening of women with acceptable cervical mucous score was done in the month previous to the one in which the formulation was tested.’
- ‘Rubbing your eye can lead to encrusted eyelids, mucous discharge and further irritation.’
- ‘Various therapies have been proposed to treat digital mucous cysts.’
- ‘The mucous film covering his eyes was an infection that was treated successfully with antibiotic drops.’
- ‘If this mucous blockage lasts too long, bacteria sometimes multiply to excess because they seem to thrive on any blocked body system.’
- ‘There are different types - some are filled with a watery liquid, and others with a thicker, mucous substance.’
- ‘Dry mouth can result from reduced mucous and saliva secretions.’
- ‘The possibility of obstruction mandates bronchoscopy to rule out mucous plugs, tumor, or a foreign body.’
- ‘The utility of flexible bronchoscopy in the setting of retained secretions is aimed at clearing thick mucous secretions and plugs.’
- ‘The submandibular glands produce a mixture of serous and mucous saliva.’
- ‘It's a licorice extract that is nontoxic, that increases the mucous coating in the esophagus and makes it more resistant to acid.’
- ‘They stop acid being produced and give the stomach's protective, mucous lining time to heal itself.’
- ‘Mucin stains revealed approximately one quarter of the pale cells contained mucous substances.’
- ‘A daily ration of these herbs helps to thin mucous secretions and clears lung congestion, which is often a problem for emphysema sufferers.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin mucosus (see mucus).
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.