One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of compounds occurring chiefly as components of connective tissue. They are complex polysaccharides containing amino groups.
- ‘The members of this family hydrolyze sulfate ester bonds of a variety of compounds, including mucopolysaccharides, cerebrosides, and steroids.’
- ‘We have done a study of mucoid degeneration of the meniscus; in brief, this malady is an excessive accumulation of mucopolysaccharides in the meniscal tissue.’
- ‘The enzyme is present in lysosomes, where it helps break down mucopolysaccharides.’
- ‘Heparin is a mucopolysaccharide produced by the body that's responsible for keeping your blood from clotting.’
- ‘The finding of large cavernous spaces filled with mucopolysaccharides is consistent with ischemic processes elsewhere in the central nervous system.’
- ‘Retinol also functions in the synthesis of certain glycoproteins and mucopolysaccharides necessary for mucous production and normal growth regulation.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.