One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Any of a group of compounds occurring chiefly as components of connective tissue. They are complex polysaccharides containing amino groups.
- ‘The enzyme is present in lysosomes, where it helps break down mucopolysaccharides.’
- ‘Retinol also functions in the synthesis of certain glycoproteins and mucopolysaccharides necessary for mucous production and normal growth regulation.’
- ‘Heparin is a mucopolysaccharide produced by the body that's responsible for keeping your blood from clotting.’
- ‘The members of this family hydrolyze sulfate ester bonds of a variety of compounds, including mucopolysaccharides, cerebrosides, and steroids.’
- ‘The finding of large cavernous spaces filled with mucopolysaccharides is consistent with ischemic processes elsewhere in the central nervous system.’
- ‘We have done a study of mucoid degeneration of the meniscus; in brief, this malady is an excessive accumulation of mucopolysaccharides in the meniscal tissue.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.