Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of compounds occurring chiefly as components of connective tissue. They are complex polysaccharides containing amino groups.
- ‘Heparin is a mucopolysaccharide produced by the body that's responsible for keeping your blood from clotting.’
- ‘The members of this family hydrolyze sulfate ester bonds of a variety of compounds, including mucopolysaccharides, cerebrosides, and steroids.’
- ‘The enzyme is present in lysosomes, where it helps break down mucopolysaccharides.’
- ‘Retinol also functions in the synthesis of certain glycoproteins and mucopolysaccharides necessary for mucous production and normal growth regulation.’
- ‘The finding of large cavernous spaces filled with mucopolysaccharides is consistent with ischemic processes elsewhere in the central nervous system.’
- ‘We have done a study of mucoid degeneration of the meniscus; in brief, this malady is an excessive accumulation of mucopolysaccharides in the meniscal tissue.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.