One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A glycoprotein constituent of mucus.‘mucin is secreted by the salivary glands’
- ‘Slight turbidity is a result of mucin secreted by the lining of the urinary tract.’
- ‘Although more than 95% of the airway secretion consists of water, the main glycoprotein contained in the airway secretion is mucin.’
- ‘The mucin is secreted by tiny glands called goblet cells in the conjunctiva.’
- ‘Most of the organic material in saliva is protein, some of which is glycoprotein or mucin, which contains both carbohydrate and protein components.’
- ‘The best example of such a gel is mammalian mucus, which is based on the glycoprotein mucin.’
Mid 19th century: from mucus + -in.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.