Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A glycoprotein constituent of mucus.‘mucin is secreted by the salivary glands’
- ‘The mucin is secreted by tiny glands called goblet cells in the conjunctiva.’
- ‘The best example of such a gel is mammalian mucus, which is based on the glycoprotein mucin.’
- ‘Slight turbidity is a result of mucin secreted by the lining of the urinary tract.’
- ‘Although more than 95% of the airway secretion consists of water, the main glycoprotein contained in the airway secretion is mucin.’
- ‘Most of the organic material in saliva is protein, some of which is glycoprotein or mucin, which contains both carbohydrate and protein components.’
Mid 19th century: from mucus + -in.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.