Mouldy, musty, or festering:‘a mucid sheet of green scum floated undisturbed over the goldfish pool’
mouldy, stale, fusty, damp, dank, mildewed, mildewy, decayed, smelly, stuffy, airless, unventilatedView synonyms
- ‘Here and there are mucid gray globs of something vaguely organic.’
- ‘By midsummer, the water was mucid, pea-green, fermenting, almost bubbling with corruption.’
- ‘The town was mucid and quaggy in the extreme.’
- ‘The dank miasma of the marsh, clung with a mucid dullness round my frame.’
- ‘He caught sight of a slop-shop where old clothes smothered the entrance with their mucid heaps.’
Mid 17th century: from Latin mucidus, from mucere be mouldy.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.