Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Master of Philosophy.
- ‘She decided she wanted to study Egypt to a higher level and went to University College London where she gained an MPhil.’
- ‘UTT will be offering an MPhil research programme through an agreement with Cambridge University that will be available from September 2006.’
- ‘Around the time of my diagnosis I had also been offered a place to study for an MPhil in philosophy.’
- ‘He is a chartered accountant and holds an MPhil in Management Studies from Oxford University.’
- ‘Mr Dickson returned to Cambridge in 2003, and was awarded an MPhil with distinction in Renaissance Literature.’
- ‘During their first year in Bradford, the students will take one of the department's MA courses and in their second year will carry out research for a MPhil, ideally in an area related to their occupation.’
- ‘Mike Iliff is a mature student studying for an MPhil in ‘The History of Christianity’ at Birmingham University.’
- ‘But he abandoned an economics MPhil in 1974 when his tutor, Andrew Graham, found him a job in Downing Street.’
- ‘In 1997, she began a post-graduate MPhil course.’
- ‘Maria, an English language and literature concentrator, will pursue her MPhil in English medieval studies.’
- ‘Chris Hanretty is an MPhil candidate in European Politics at St Anne's.’
- ‘My MPhil was a dizzyingly intense year, academically and socially.’
- ‘Someone came into my office today and gave me a couple of glasses of Cava from the MPhil graduation party going on nextdoor.’
- ‘Perhaps more worrying are the factual errors, particularly in relation to Wat's Dyke, the subject of my MPhil dissertation.’
- ‘The MPhil in Modern Slavic History at Dundee is a new course, providing an introduction to the history of modern Europe and Russia.’
- ‘Alternatively, it may provide a basis for further research for a PhD or MPhil as an MA combines research skills with advanced techniques and theories.’
- ‘Anand Toprani is a first year MPhil student in Modern European History’
- ‘Michael Collins, MA, MPhil, lectures and teaches at Beijing Second Foreign Language University.’
- ‘He went on to study for an MPhil in medieval history before briefly working in the City - a job he gave up for journalism.’
- ‘Among new offerings are an MA in Media History at Aberystwyth, and an MPhil in Modern Slavic History at Dundee.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.