Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1[mass noun] A means of compressing a sound sequence into a very small file, to enable digital storage and transmission.
- ‘Here is an mp3 file of the first movement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik in its original form.’
- ‘Users can also download the audio portion and listen to the mp3 file on a portable audio device.’
- ‘The MP3 format for digital music has had, and will continue to have, a huge impact on how people collect, listen to and distribute music.’
- 1.1[count noun] A file in MP3 format:‘technicalities aside, ripping your own MP3s is easy’[as modifier] ‘an MP3 file’
- ‘You won't find videos, MP3s, or other flashy media on the site's bare-bones profile pages.’
- ‘The answer: just turn the whole thing into one MP3.’
- ‘One hour and 20 minutes later I had a tune "enhanced" with own samples, mixed down to an MP3, all done without reading the manual.’
- ‘Similarly, it is illegal in the UK and New Zealand to rip that CD to MP3 and transfer the files to an iPod.’
- ‘On an ironic note, I wonder how many of the people in those mobs have iPods with illicitly downloaded MP3s on them.’
- ‘Once you have the sounds as you want, you can then mix them down to a standard stereo WAV or MP3.’
- ‘The device records up to 50 hours of XM radio, plays MP3s and WMAs, and integrates with Napster.’
- ‘I rediscovered Croce's music about two months ago when I converted my old set of 3 CDs with 36 of his songs to MP3s.’
- ‘Also, Otis is going to delete the MP3s shortly after the new year.’
- ‘Does anyone have an MP3 of this song, or would anyone be able to convert this for me?’
- ‘Someone Googled me this morning looking for this very MP3.’
1990s: from MPEG + Audio Layer-3.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.