One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A means of compressing a sound sequence into a very small file, to enable digital storage and transmission.
- ‘The MP3 format for digital music has had, and will continue to have, a huge impact on how people collect, listen to and distribute music.’
- ‘Users can also download the audio portion and listen to the mp3 file on a portable audio device.’
- ‘Here is an mp3 file of the first movement of Eine Kleine Nachtmusik in its original form.’
- 1.1count noun A file in MP3 format.‘technicalities aside, ripping your own MP3s is easy’as modifier ‘an MP3 file’
- ‘Once you have the sounds as you want, you can then mix them down to a standard stereo WAV or MP3.’
- ‘Also, Otis is going to delete the MP3s shortly after the new year.’
- ‘Someone Googled me this morning looking for this very MP3.’
- ‘The device records up to 50 hours of XM radio, plays MP3s and WMAs, and integrates with Napster.’
- ‘On an ironic note, I wonder how many of the people in those mobs have iPods with illicitly downloaded MP3s on them.’
- ‘Does anyone have an MP3 of this song, or would anyone be able to convert this for me?’
- ‘One hour and 20 minutes later I had a tune "enhanced" with own samples, mixed down to an MP3, all done without reading the manual.’
- ‘The answer: just turn the whole thing into one MP3.’
- ‘You won't find videos, MP3s, or other flashy media on the site's bare-bones profile pages.’
- ‘Similarly, it is illegal in the UK and New Zealand to rip that CD to MP3 and transfer the files to an iPod.’
- ‘I rediscovered Croce's music about two months ago when I converted my old set of 3 CDs with 36 of his songs to MP3s.’
1990s: from MPEG + Audio Layer-3.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.