Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] (in Eastern medicine) the burning of moxa on or near a person's skin as a counterirritant.
- ‘Acupuncture shall include, but not be limited to, the insertion of acupuncture needles and the application of moxibustion to specific areas of the human body.’
- ‘Previous studies have shown that moxibustion and some Chinese herbs effectively protected rats from acute liver injury.’
- ‘The results showed that the therapeutic effect of acupuncture and moxibustion was good with a total effective rate of 88.24%.’
- ‘Here I am shown remarkably healthy-looking patients in perfectly starched and ironed outfits receiving treatment by acupuncture, moxibustion, cupping, and massage.’
- ‘And he didn't do an acupuncture treatment, he did something called moxibustion.’
- ‘Acupuncture was used on selected points on the patients every second day and moxibustion was used on selected acupoints, also every second day, so that the patients effectively had a treatment every day.’
- ‘Breech presentation was successfully corrected by stimulating acupuncture points with moxibustion or low-frequency electrical current.’
- ‘Sun regarded the integration of acupuncture, moxibustion and the use of drugs as a complete system of medicine.’
- ‘Currently, we have actively introduced Oriental medicine for the treatment of a wide range of diseases using Chinese medicines and acupuncture or moxibustion.’
- ‘Traditional Chinese medicine incorporates acupuncture, moxibustion, herbal remedies, cupping, therapeutic exercise and dietary and lifestyle advice.’
- ‘By making a differentiating diagnosis, practitioners can choose the best method of applying acupuncture, moxibustion, herbs, Qigong or massage.’
- ‘Stimulating techniques such as acupuncture, moxibustion or massage may be applied to these points to relieve disorders of their corresponding organs.’
- ‘In Oriental medicine acupuncture and moxibustion are being utilized for the purpose of stopping preterm labor.’
- ‘Patients reported in our questionnaire research that they had no abdominal pain during moxibustion treatment, but rather felt comfortable warmth not limited to the abdomen, but in the entire body.’
- ‘Recent immunological studies have shown that direct moxibustion to acupoint can mediate the systemic immune functions.’
- ‘Ultrasound examination was performed before and after each moxibustion treatment to determine the fetal presentation.’
- ‘The reason for this is because pain and burn are more directly invasive, and electric moxibustion, without using moxa, can enhance antibody production.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.