Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for harmonica
- ‘As well as being a good singer, Michael S is a multi-instrumentalist, playing the mouth organ, guitar and keyboards to name but a few.’
- ‘The album is ripe with folk and country elements as well and encompasses many instruments, from epic strings to mouth organ and horns.’
- ‘The tracks may be short, but they're far busier than a lot of the material doing the rounds, with Hammond organs, chirpy guitars, and some brilliant mouth organ, all making an impression at some point.’
- ‘Dick was a great dancer and singer and could even play the mouth organ.’
- ‘Musically, the album isn't afraid of drawing on different instruments, from mouth organs to banjos, to acoustic guitars and piano.’
- ‘With liberal use of glockenspiel, harmonium and mouth organ, it sounds like Brion found his instruments in a playgroup toy box.’
- ‘Be My Baby is like a modern day acoustic ballad, with melancholic twists and the now trademark falsetto, complete with strings and the mouth organ to begin with.’
- ‘Who do you think played the buzzing, demonic sitar on ‘Paint It, Black’, the dulcimer on ‘Lady Jane’ and the mouth organ on ‘Come On’?’
- ‘‘I used to play her a little ditty on the mouth organ when I saw her walk past,’ said Gordon, 82.’
- ‘A singer and a musician who plays organ, guitar, mouth organ and is learning the play the fiddle himself, he says, ‘They reveal the spirit and folklore of the Acadian people through their music.’’
- ‘His father played the accordion and mouth organ, while a brother and sister played piano, all of them self-taught.’
- ‘The sweet sounds of the banjo are replaced by the elderly paterfamilias, who starts to play a mouth organ.’
- ‘It was Neil Hannon's birthday and even though he didn't seem thrilled to be 32 years of age, he kept announcing the fact and played himself the Birthday Song on a mouth organ.’
- ‘Stan remembered that ‘long, lanky Fred’ used to entertain his comrades with his mouth organ.’
- ‘The Harmonicords, a local mouth organ quartet, is to be heard on Wednesday, February 16, on the BBC North Region's ‘What Makes A Star?’’
- ‘His musical expertise stretches to the mouth organ.’
- ‘With guitar in hand and mouth organ at the ready, he has created a trademark sound which makes him stand out from your everyday guitar-playing songwriter.’
- ‘But a real hobo needs an instrument, so I have resolved to learn the mouth organ.’
- ‘A mouth organ provides the tune and Kate uses her voice to provide the anger and bitterness the words deserve.’
- ‘Bob receives a mouth organ as a present from his old mum.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.