One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Relating to or denoting the main culture of the Middle Palaeolithic period in Europe, between the Acheulian and Aurignacian periods (chiefly 80,000–35,000 years ago). It is associated with Neanderthal peoples and is typified by flints worked on one side only.See also Levallois
- ‘By 1869 his scheme for European prehistory was fairly well elaborated and included: the Thenasian (for the now obsolete Eolithic), Chellean, Mousterian, Solutrean, Aurignacian, Magdalenian, and Robenhausian.’
- ‘Excavations have recovered several flint handaxes of Mousterian type to the east of the rock shelters, suggestive of Middle Palaeolithic occupation around if not within the shelters.’
- ‘Associated with the Neanderthals is the Mousterian tool kit, comprising smaller and more refined implements than the Acheulian.’
- ‘The next culture/technology/industry is called Middle Stone Age or Mousterian (depending on whether the artifacts are recovered in Africa or Europe).’
- ‘Characteristically, Mousterian tools were made from flint.’
- 1.1as noun the Mousterian The Mousterian culture or period.
Late 19th century: from French moustiérien, from Le Moustier, a cave in SW France where objects from this culture were found.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.