One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Greek dish made of minced lamb, aubergines, and tomatoes, with cheese sauce on top.
- ‘A dinner of Greek moussaka was given to me at school, despite their being informed that I don't do meat.’
- ‘We ordered moussaka and dolmas and ate them on a nearby streetcorner with some wine.’
- ‘My main was a traditional Greek selection - moussaka.’
- ‘The gyro and moussaka each have about 800 calories and at least a day's worth of saturated fat.’
- ‘Certain foods are emblematic of the national identity, including moussaka, baklava, thick coffee, and resinated wine (retsina).’
- ‘Greeks create such masterpieces as moussaka, a layered dish of eggplant, meat, cheese, and bread crumbs sometimes served with a white sauce.’
- ‘I opted to try that most quintessential of Greek dishes, the moussaka.’
- ‘The major triumphs of the canteen school were the discoveries of moussaka and lasagne, which serve their art perfectly, but the Sistine Chefs have had to try a bit harder.’
- ‘Greek oils are excellent with salads, especially drizzled over feta, but are a vital component when creating Greek dishes, such as moussaka.’
- ‘The Greeks have given us so much: philosophy, democracy,… moussaka.’
- ‘The moussaka is pleasant and surprisingly ungooey, the vegetables almost crisply charred, and the stew of tripe, chorizo, short ribs, and oxtail is definitely thick and hearty.’
- ‘Do we need two types of moussaka and two types of lasagne?’
- ‘Finish by sprinkling the extra grated cheese on top of the moussaka, then bake at about 160°C for about 30-45 minutes until the topping is nicely golden brown.’
- ‘Twelve ounce steaks are available, as are moussaka, deep fried scampi and gammon steaks, as well as a choice of reasonably-priced burgers and kebabs.’
- ‘The moussaka is prepared with exquisite lamb meat, a thick layer of béchamel, aubergine and plenty of olive oil and fresh oregano and could serve as an entire meal in itself.’
- ‘For $21.99 per person you can sample a dozen items off the menu, which includes souvlaki, moussaka and Adriatic shrimp.’
- ‘Hummus, taramasalata, tzatziki, moussaka, souvlaki - all the greatest hits are present and correct in Aberdeen's only Greek restaurant.’
- ‘Don't listen to the people who subscribe to the ‘had one Greek meal, had them all’ school of thought, there's much, much more than moussaka if you're game enough to find out.’
- ‘If you have never eaten lemons in a salad, you are in for a treat; their tang and sharpness balance the richness of a dish such as moussaka perfectly.’
- ‘When our meat-eating friends come to stay, they look forward to a succulent roasted rack of lamb, a juicy game pie, or an aromatic lamb moussaka.’
From Turkish musakka, based on Arabic.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.