Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- North American term for puma
- ‘He realizes it is a mountain lion and he is scared to death.’
- ‘Tracks made by birds, elk, deer, big horn sheep, Rocky Mountain goats and the occasional mountain lion are more common in the Black Hills back country.’
- ‘Last year I saw a mountain lion; first time I'd ever seen a big cat.’
- ‘She fixed her eyes on the mountain lion and breathed slowly.’
- ‘She had even climbed up the hill with the nimbleness of a cat or a mountain lion.’
- ‘A mountain lion living in the San Andres Mountains of New Mexico wears a radio collar to help conservationists track the large cat's movements.’
- ‘By the time I retreated to the truck, the only thing I was sure of, besides being tired and cold, was that I wanted more than ever to find a mountain lion.’
- ‘In Lake County near Antioch, Illinois, there have been several sightings of a cougar or mountain lion.’
- ‘While the bighorn sheep, the black bear, the mountain lion and the bobcat inhabit higher elevations and are elusive to visitors, one is more likely to sight the elk and the moose in the valley.’
- ‘A toddler missing for three-and-half years whose tattered clothes were discovered last week was probably attacked by a mountain lion, authorities said.’
- ‘This is the mountain lion, the puma, the cougar.’
- ‘In short, the chances of being killed by a mountain lion while out hiking, biking, climbing, camping - you name it - are statistically insignificant.’
- ‘The mountains are home to grizzly and black bear, woodland caribou, wolves, mountain lion, moose - you name it, if it's big and has fangs, claws or horns it lives here.’
- ‘Perhaps a little more exciting to catch sight of (at least for me) is the bighorn sheep, mule deer, bobcat, mountain lion, coyote or one of the amazing birds of prey.’
- ‘They are on the trail of what Billy thinks is a coon, but actually turns out to be a mountain lion.’
- ‘This was not an African lion but an American mountain lion, also known as a cougar or puma, a cat the size of a leopard that was once rare and considered virtually harmless.’
- ‘Amateur video footage at a roadside zoo in South Carolina revealed a mountain lion so undernourished that it was eating another mountain lion that had fallen ill and died.’
- ‘A mountain lion had come, smelling food apparently.’
- ‘The male mountain lion was first spotted by a ‘heroic’ female dog, which chased it up a tree, where it provided an easy target for police.’
- ‘During the ride, Anne was savagely attacked by a mountain lion, the same mountain lion that had killed another biker several hours later.’
- ‘The mountain lion responsible for killing a particular deer was positively identified in 179 instances.’
- ‘He was stepping pointedly toward him - practically gliding; no, stalking toward him, like a mountain lion ready to go for the final kill.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.