One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rail service in which cars are transported together with their drivers and passengers.
- ‘His article paints a very rosy picture of the merits of using the Motorail through France, but be warned; things are not always that easy.’
- ‘Some sort of sleeping accommodation is compulsory, however, on most overnight Motorail services.’
- ‘Board the train at Calais and let the train whisk you and your car to a choice of Motorail stations in Southern France.’
- ‘Whether you are travelling for business or pleasure, using Motorail will help you to forget what jams and stress are.’
- ‘On arrival in Calais, your car will be loaded by Motorail staff onto the train, while you settle yourself in to your compartment.’
- ‘It was the longest passenger train in Australia's history with two NR Class Locomotives hauling 43 carriages and two Motorail wagons.’
- ‘We offer Motorail from 2 main departure points, to destinations in France, Switzerland, Italy and Austria.’
- ‘Alternatively travel with French Motorail from Calais, Lille or Paris to a number of locations only hours away from major Italian cities.’
- ‘Please note: height restrictions apply and at certain times of the year the Motorail is only available departing from Paris.’
1960s: blend of motor and rail.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.