Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The sport of racing motor vehicles, especially cars.
- ‘I think the manufacturers are taking a very responsible role in trying to help guide the future of Grand Prix motor racing.’
- ‘Nor were they welcomed in the more dangerous sports of skiing, motor racing, sailing and horse racing.’
- ‘The cigarette firms which make Formula One motor-racing so lucrative have the same regard for sport as the people who turn football players into walking billboards.’
- ‘The international weekly motorsport show brings world-class motor racing on the screen.’
- ‘And again, everybody has to understand, motor racing is a dangerous sport.’
- ‘But he goes too far when he claims that he has never brought motor racing into disrepute.’
- ‘Hardware vendors such as HP and Sun have been heavily involved in sponsoring motor racing and other sports.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.