Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] A progressive disease involving degeneration of the motor neurons and wasting of the muscles.
- ‘Now the scientist who is crippled by a motor neuron disease says he was wrong.’
- ‘The embryonic stem cells that we derive in this way will only be used for research into motor neuron disease.’
- ‘He is a committed Christian who since contracting motor neuron disease has been keen to try to alleviate the suffering of everyone with the condition.’
- ‘Pat battled against motor neuron disease for a few years before finally succumbing to it.’
- ‘Multiple sclerosis and motor neuron disease were two conditions defined clinically by him, and also defined pathologically.’
- ‘Quite naturally he is most keen to help charities dealing with physical disability and in particular motor neuron disease.’
- ‘The next step for McKay was to ask his father for some land to secure a loan of £100,000 to develop communication aid software for people with disabilities such as motor neuron disease and cerebral palsy.’
- ‘When I got worse, it was determined that I also had a ‘nonspecific motor neuron disease.’’
- ‘In Britain it is usually called motor neuron disease.’
- ‘To date these abnormalities are manifest in rheumatoid arthritis, as well as in the neurological diseases Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, motor neuron disease, and autism.’
- ‘She wants to die before motor neuron disease stops her heart.’
- ‘Wilmut's team applied for a cloning research license in September 2004 to learn more about motor neuron disease.’
- ‘Studies have shown that consumption of some species of cassava as a staple diet could lead to chronic health problems such as nutritional neuropathies, endemic goitre and upper motor neuron disease.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.