Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A mechanical system that includes an electric motor and drives a machine.
- ‘Engineers traced the problem to the electronics that control the tape player's motor drive.’
- ‘This new microcontroller is suited for robotics and industrial networking applications as well as industrial high-performance electrical motor drives where it is responsible for processing and communication.’
- ‘It's cutting edge stuff - the units I make are essential in power-saving applications as diverse as motor drive controllers, future generations of cars and even intelligent fridges.’
- ‘The book takes a very systematic approach to both installing and troubleshooting electric motor drives.’
- ‘We built a variable motor drive for a washing machine and it added $250 to the final cost.’
- 1.1A battery-driven motor in a camera used to wind the film rapidly between exposures.
- ‘As the fish was drawn to the boat, I switched the camera to motor drive then pressed the shutter button.’
- ‘I normally use 2 or 3 camera bodies with motor drives when shooting fireworks.’
- ‘With the new batteries, the motor drive and camera are functioning just perfectly.’
- ‘Use your autowind or motor drive to fire off three or four successive shots to increase your odds of getting a winner.’
- ‘What are the serial numbers of your camera, lenses, flash gear and motor drives?’
- ‘Repeating the procedure did not work, so Harry was forced to wind on manually, as the actual light meter was now working OK, with the motor drive removed.’
- ‘As I scurried to retrieve my smalls, the whirr of a dozen camera motor drives signalled that the whole unhappy episode was being captured on film.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.