Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A boat powered by a motor.
- ‘Instruction is given in the use of kayaks, two-seater canoes and motor boats.’
- ‘Through the trees you may catch glimpses of billowing sails, wind surfers, cross-lakes ferries and motor boats.’
- ‘On arrival in Vicarstown, the children donned lifejackets and boarded motor boats provided by Laois and Kildare Civil Defence.’
- ‘A motor boat heading to Teddington was travelling so fast that a houseboat was damaged by its wash and the driver was this week cautioned by the Port of London Authority.’
- ‘After joining the Dolittle project two years ago, he made a breakthrough discovery: Under noisy conditions, such as those created by passing motor boats, the whales vocalized louder so that pod members could hear them.’
- ‘The popularity of water scooters, high powered motor boats and parasailing pose a threat of accidents.’
- ‘But motor boats are only one threat to manatees.’
- ‘The unit was alerted to the fire at 4.30 pm after a motor boat owner discovered a fire in the engine compartment of his vessel.’
- ‘Because of the increase in popularity of sailing and motor boats, marina space has become more difficult to get, according to boating sources.’
- ‘Police feared today for the safety of a sailor after his motor boat was found abandoned on the River Ouse near York, following a suspected crash.’
- ‘Their sheer beauty and majesty left me feeling quite uplifted, although the fact that they have no fear of humans, a healthy disregard for motor boats and are very inquisitive has led to their near extinction.’
- ‘Eventually I got to drive one of the motor boats up and down the river, to Bishopthorpe Palace and Nun Monkton.’
- ‘The first outboard motor boats on the reef were made, according to local legend, by returned World War I servicemen, by lashing a Ford engine to the back of a dinghy.’
- ‘Your hired motor boat is bobbing up and down at anchor, occasionally nudging the pebbles on the beach as a bigger wave breaks.’
- ‘Small boats may have outboard motors and then are often called motor boats.’
- ‘Marine Police found a three-metre motor boat near the beach.’
- ‘Spectators have a chance to watch the race from two locations - along the beach or following the race in motor boats.’
- ‘This is the last opportunity for a lot of the classic motor boats to be used here for what they were designed to do.’
- ‘Choose from an energetic canoe ride, a romantic row down the river or a leisurely cruise on a motor boat.’
- ‘His involvement in motor sport, aviation and motor boats made him a hero in his native Belgium.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.