Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] Cross-country racing on motorcycles:‘a national motocross champion’
- ‘Considered one of America's up-and-coming drivers, the 20 year-old Jaskol started his career in motocross at the age of nine.’
- ‘He started his professional career in motocross, aged just six, but before long he started concentrating on freestyle tricks, the bigger the better.’
- ‘Dean, 26, has had three years in British Superbike, World Superbike, Endurance and Supersport and motocross.’
- ‘The second of these eight national motocross races is set for February 13, at the Mindolo Track in Kitwe.’
- ‘Freestyle motocross is all the rage in Europe and the US at the moment.’
- ‘He told me all about his dirt bike and how he did a lot of motocross.’
- ‘Fernandez began racing in motocross when he was 8 years old.’
- ‘First of all, I had been doing motocross for a while, even though I wasn't allowed to, being underage and all.’
- ‘Considering that motocross is arguably the most physically demanding sport in the world, this isn't normal.’
- ‘The foreign riders will slug it out against Zambia's motocross champion David Reeve and top quad driver Charles Cox.’
- ‘Then I got into racing motocross and skateboarding.’
- ‘Barrett's initial racing experience came in motocross.’
- ‘Although ironically he has never raced at Mondello, this determined former motocross champion is looking forward to the challenge of racing in front of his home crowd.’
- ‘While they'd spent the weekend, glued to the TV I'd been away at some distant town racing motocross.’
- ‘He has no previous race experience other than competing in schoolboy motocross some years ago.’
- ‘A former BMX enthusiast, Moore switched to motocross a couple of years ago and he has since taken on gradually more difficult tasks.’
- ‘Unfortunately, when performance suffers in motocross, it's not just your placing that takes a beating.’
- ‘A couple of years ago we discovered that we shared a secret desire to try motocross.’
- ‘However she has also distinguished herself in action-packed sports as diverse as downhill mountain biking, motocross, supercross and skydiving.’
- ‘It costs £20 to use the track, which was designed and built by former British motocross champion Greg Hanson.’
1950s: via French from motor + cross.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.