One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not moving; stationary.‘an eagle hung almost motionless close to the ground’
unmoving, still, stationary, stock-still, at a standstill, immobile, immovable, static, at rest, halted, stopped, not moving a muscle, rooted to the spot, transfixed, paralysed, frozen, inert, inanimate, quiescent, lifelessView synonyms
- ‘Everybody simply stood motionless and horrified as the guy pulled back his arm and threw a punch at the old man's head.’
- ‘Hundreds of people were standing, motionless and quiet, watching the screens with open mouths.’
- ‘The victim's partner lay unconscious and motionless on the pavement for seven minutes after the attack.’
- ‘When I got to him he wasn't breathing, and was lying motionless on the road.’
- ‘There's a jerk and the glider seems to hang for a moment, poised motionless.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.