One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Not moving; stationary.‘an eagle hung almost motionless close to the ground’
unmoving, still, stationary, stock-still, at a standstill, immobile, immovable, static, at rest, halted, stopped, not moving a muscle, rooted to the spot, transfixed, paralysed, frozen, inert, inanimate, quiescent, lifelessView synonyms
- ‘Everybody simply stood motionless and horrified as the guy pulled back his arm and threw a punch at the old man's head.’
- ‘Hundreds of people were standing, motionless and quiet, watching the screens with open mouths.’
- ‘When I got to him he wasn't breathing, and was lying motionless on the road.’
- ‘There's a jerk and the glider seems to hang for a moment, poised motionless.’
- ‘The victim's partner lay unconscious and motionless on the pavement for seven minutes after the attack.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.