One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘I'm not sure why men's pain doesn't inspire a whole lot of motherliness in their spouses.’
- ‘She nearly always loses her traditionally feminine characteristics in so doing - not those of attractiveness, but rather of kindness, humaneness, motherliness.’
- ‘‘They are more to me than life, these voices, they are more than motherliness and more than fear: they are the strongest, most comforting thing there is anywhere: they are the voices of my comrades ’.’
- ‘It isn't their sex that singles them out as oddities; it's their dangerous beliefs tacked on to their wholesome-as-apple-pie motherliness.’
- ‘The solemnity of the story is relieved by the humour of the rustic travellers at the Rainbow Inn, and the genial motherliness of Dolly Winthrop, who befriends Silas.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.