One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
One's native country.
- ‘But Rudi was having too much fun, and it would be decades before he would consider a return to his motherland.’
- ‘When the country is invaded by enemies, the nation's leader will call on everyone to protect the motherland.’
- ‘In his letters, he reportedly said that he would like to come back to the motherland and serve the nation.’
- ‘But the distance hasn't lessened their love for their motherland.’
- ‘What is obvious also is that Gupta is a fan of his motherland's food.’
- ‘They are shown as noble and selfless defenders of the motherland despite the reality which sees them plagued by corruption and incompetence.’
- ‘Wu has returned to the culture of his motherland, China.’
- ‘He said that July 1 was a joyful day for the entire Chinese race as it marked the reunification of Hong Kong with the motherland.’
- ‘But when he goes home to his motherland, Armenia, it's quite a different story.’
- ‘Tensions were exacerbated by the discovery that the rivers of Australia were rather different from the rivers of the motherland.’
- ‘Traditionally, the attitude toward the motherland among Russian speakers abroad has been complex.’
- ‘And when the children reached a certain age, we were all whisked off back to the motherland 8 months a year for boarding school.’
- ‘Finally, at the end of the 1970s, Chechens were allowed to return to their motherland.’
- ‘He devoted his life, blood and sweat to the well-being of the motherland and the nation.’
- ‘So why did I come to the motherland to publicly declare that I am willing to abandon liberalism.’
- ‘Both of his offspring now reside in their motherland, Germany.’
- ‘Well, martyrs always receive the highest honour especially if they lose their life defending their motherland.’
- ‘The feeling then was that I was returning to my motherland.’
- ‘We shall not shrink from making any sacrifice to guard and protect every inch of our beloved motherland.’
- ‘As I type this, I am back in the motherland, England, for a week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.