Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The liquid remaining after a substance has crystallized out.
- ‘The triclinic lysozyme crystals were placed in a small cup with only a few drops of mother liquor, after which they were equilibrated for 3 weeks in a confined atmosphere with a large excess of deuterated mother liquor.’
- ‘The result is the formation of dendritic crystals and crystals containing considerable quantities of occlusions of mother liquor.’
- ‘The use of paraffin oil to prevent dehydration of the crystal for the experiments presented in Figs. 4 and 5 and the presence of the crystallization mother liquor will also slightly affect the photocycle kinetics.’
- ‘Crystals were flash-frozen with liquid nitrogen, using the mother liquor as cryoprotectant.’
- ‘The crystals are then separated from the mother liquor via two decanters, then further processed through a lactose refining system to increase the purity level desired for the final product.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.