One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A woman's long, loose-fitting, shapeless dress or undergarment.
- ‘The end result was a basic design (referred to as a ‘Mother Hubbard’) which was simply a full, straight skirt attached to a yoke with a high neck and tight sleeves.’
- ‘Women in the Marshall Islands wear Mother Hubbards and think only prostitutes wear pants.’
- 1.1Canadian A long parka.
- ‘The ‘Mother Hubbard’, another style of parka, with its deep ruffle, is common.’
- ‘Women also sewed fabric, available from the trading posts, into a parka shell called a Mother Hubbard.’
So named from early illustrations of the nursery rhyme.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.