Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The earth considered as the source of all its living beings and natural features.
the natural world, the living world, mother nature, creation, the world, the environment, the earth, mother earth, the universe, the cosmos, natural forcesView synonyms
- ‘The earth cracked and trembled in pain and Mother Earth cried out to Jove for help.’
- ‘How could Native Americans living in balance with nature and respecting Mother Earth have so wantonly slaughtered game?’
- ‘From time immemorial, man has learnt to extract this precious metal from Mother Earth.’
- ‘Finally, we're hearing an awful lot about Mother Earth and the fearsome power of nature.’
- ‘My vision now is to live in a world in which we honor each other and Mother Earth.’
- ‘Most of the wood is from recycled or sustainably harvested sources, making less impact on Mother Earth.’
- ‘Their motivation is to protect Mother Earth and keep the land open and natural for plants and animals.’
- ‘Take an inventory of what kind of an impact your life has on Mother Earth - your own personal ecological footprint.’
- ‘If we could only have a perfect world, and truly abolish poverty, Mother Earth would be a paradise.’
- ‘Those rituals involved animal sacrifice and blood offerings to Mother Earth.’
- ‘According to the seasons, the polar caps on Mars wax and wane, as breathtaking a sight, in the course of the Martian year, as it is on Mother Earth.’
- ‘The people of Bastar revere their heroes and worship Mother Earth for her life-sustaining bounty.’
- ‘This photo illustrates mankind's wanton disregard for Mother Earth.’
- ‘Here's a chance to do something good for Mother Earth!’
- ‘Is there any short-term profit to be made in saving Mother Earth?’
- ‘A common slogan among protesters is ‘Gaia told me to do it,’ Gaia being the Earth Goddess, or Mother Earth.’
- ‘Indeed if we are vigilant we can see that this world is made up of the natural laws of grace and fluidity, the essence of Mother Earth.’
- ‘Subconsciously I can feel myself apologising to Mother Earth and asking what we did wrong to upset her and to spare us further damage.’
- ‘Just to clarify the issue, Dobson goes on to condemn Earth Day as a pagan celebration of Mother Earth.’
- ‘They would pack tents, makeshift sleeping bags and simple foods, then set out to reconnect with Mother Earth.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.