One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A day of the year on which mothers are particularly honoured by their children. In North America and South Africa it is the second Sunday in May; in Britain it has become another term for Mothering Sunday.
- ‘Next Sunday is Mother's Day, the only time we nationally pay homage to women for giving birth.’
- ‘And you do not need Mother's Day to do something special for your mother, or say something special to her.’
- ‘The menu was a special one for Mother's Day, but the carvery is open every Sunday.’
- ‘So I was surprised and moved to tears yesterday when he came home from school with a Mother's Day card for me.’
- ‘But a surprise bunch of flowers sent by Interflora International reduced her to tears on Mother's Day.’
- ‘Spare a thought this Mother's Day for one woman who will be hard at work.’
- ‘This will be a special Mother's Day concert and Tony and Mick and their band are sure to deliver a relaxing and most enjoyable show.’
- ‘Her friend Margaret Earle was on a mission to buy a £99 tumble dryer for her mother for Mother's Day.’
- ‘These days, it is rare I get to spend Mother's Day with my mum, who lives some 200 miles away in Edinburgh.’
- ‘I can confidently say that this was probably the Best Mother's Day Ever.’
- ‘Along with Mother's Day, Father's Day is a time to treasure one of the two most important people in all our lives.’
- ‘He also took advantage of the occasion to wish all mothers around the nation a happy Mother's Day.’
- ‘Here's a timely reminder to all forgetful children to buy some flowers for your mum tomorrow - for Mother's Day.’
- ‘As Mother's Day comes around again, I realise my mum will always be a huge part of me.’
- ‘You see, in Jamaica, Father's Day is nowhere near as important as is Mother's Day.’
- ‘Try preaching a Mother's Day sermon after hearing that news two days before.’
- ‘The initial reaction of any Indian is to scoff at the idea of Mother's Day, which is not as hyped as Valentine's Day.’
- ‘A good Mother's Day is a day to do what you want to do - not what you have to do.’
- ‘This will be my fourth Mother's Day out here at Lake Natoma at the rowing championships.’
- ‘On Mother's Day there were more tears when although she had not heard from him in three weeks he sent her flowers.’
- ‘As Mother's Day approaches, Grace finds herself increasingly thinking about her mother.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.