Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A roadside hotel designed primarily for motorists, typically having the rooms arranged in low blocks with parking directly outside.
- ‘Some motels and hotels actually work out to be more expensive, especially if you choose to stay in a suite.’
- ‘Everything in it is so much nicer than at those cheap motels, from the room size to the paintings on the wall to the coffee maker in the bathroom.’
- ‘Hotels and motels usually renovate their properties every five to seven years.’
- ‘If you plan to stay in hotels or motels, remember to make reservations in advance.’
- ‘Find out which motels and hotels in your area allow pets - well in advance of needing them.’
- ‘Along with the signs, he said, the roadside motels and cafes are themselves art objects.’
- ‘Wallpaper used to be reserved for conference centres, cheap motels and suburban sitting rooms.’
- ‘Accommodation in Cairns ranges from backpacker hostels to motels and five-star hotels.’
- ‘A number of good motels and hotels offer accommodation for a stopover, and there is a good choice of restaurants and cafes.’
- ‘The dancers could not afford to stay in hotels or motels, so they were billeted with people from the community.’
- ‘Hotels, motels and entertainment theme parks have a unique security problem.’
- ‘Airlie Beach has a wide spectrum of accommodation, from motels to resort hotels, and prices are somewhat lower.’
- ‘All the hotels and motels along the waterfront has been totally destroyed.’
- ‘He never caused a scintilla of trouble at any of the dog-friendly hotels and motels we visited.’
- ‘There are plenty of hotels and motels but not one permanent place of residence.’
- ‘I hate hotels and motels, I hate sleeping in strange beds, showering in strange showers.’
- ‘Contact motels and hotels in communities outside of your area and find out if they will accept pets in an emergency.’
- ‘If you plan to stay in hotels or motels along the way, call in advance to make sure they allow pets.’
- ‘There are of course a number of ways to save money on hotels and motels without compromising quality.’
- ‘Mountain cabin rentals provide a great alternative to standard hotels and motels.’
1920s: blend of motor and hotel.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.