Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Most:‘the winner is the person who can get there quickest with the mostest’
- ‘It was another president who once said life is unfair, but the journey from being the mostest to the leastest is the way that it goes.’
- ‘I'd just do your best to help your boyfriend make the mostest of Wednesdays and weekends.’
- ‘As usual my mum, the hostess with the mostest, put on a wonderful day, with food and wine coming out of our ears, but I don't think she allowed herself to enjoy herself as she was too busy making sure that everyone else was happy.’
- ‘Once again Jane was the hostess with the mostest.’
- ‘Who wouldn't want to dance with the hostess with the mostest?’
- ‘Why do I run around pretending to be the hostess with the mostest when all I really want to do is give my guests a big glass of something alcoholic and the phone number of the nearest takeaway?’
- ‘With the war now in high gear, journalistic organizations are scrambling to be firstest with the mostest with reports from the intense fighting at the front and the intense briefings from Washington war rooms.’
- ‘Even if it is not explicitly stated within the framework, what is being taught to or required of the student is what has been found to be the ‘bestest for the mostest,’ over the history of the framework.’
- ‘If, for example, a company really wants to increase sales, it might go so far as offering holidays in the Seychelles or a bright shiny car, for the sales rep who sells the mostest.’
- ‘She calls him ‘a truly splendid man’, and goes on, with typical hyperbole: ‘You were the firstest with the mostest.’
- ‘Yes, Russia and China are big suppliers too but look at the numbers and see who supplies the mostest.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.