Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The bit in a binary number which is of the greatest numerical value.
- ‘Reverse bit direction, most significant bit to least significant bit, is used to communicate data to display devices and in many data compression encoding methods.’
- ‘Specify the number of most significant bits to output in the number of bits parameter.’
- ‘Class B addresses use the first two octets to represent the network number, with the restriction that the two most significant bits of the first octet be 10.’
- ‘The second most significant bit is reserved and must be 0.’
- ‘In arithmetic shift right the sign bit (most significant bit) is shifted into the high-order bit.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.