One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A slender long-legged fly with aquatic larvae. The bite of the bloodsucking female can transmit a number of serious diseases including malaria and elephantiasis.
Culex, Anopheles, and other genera, family Culicidae
- ‘On the first day of the trip an elderly gentleman in the group was bitten by a mosquito.’
- ‘The pesticide kills mosquitoes, the blood-sucking pests that spread malaria.’
- ‘Only 30 years old, he died of yellow fever, transmitted by a mosquito's bite.’
- ‘Malaria is a serious disease that is spread by the bite of an infected mosquito.’
- ‘The Romans became practised at draining marshes to rid areas of malaria-carrying mosquitoes.’
- ‘The larvae migrate to the mosquito's mouth, and, when it bites another human, they enter the bloodstream.’
- ‘A bite from a mosquito when abroad in a hot country can lead to malaria.’
- ‘The smoke comes from cow dung fires used to drive off flies and mosquitoes.’
- ‘Malaria is spread by mosquitoes that are carrying a single-celled parasite called plasmodium.’
- ‘The mosquito can then act as a vector, transmitting the virus to mammals, such as horses or humans.’
- ‘Idaho, and probably most other states, still have mosquitoes capable of carrying malaria.’
- ‘The worm is transmitted from one person to another through the bites of infected mosquitoes.’
- ‘In India, neem is traditionally burnt to repel disease-carrying mosquitoes.’
- ‘Malaria is a disease that is caused by a parasite and spread by mosquitoes.’
- ‘The thing is, when you realise that a mosquito is biting you, there's little you can do.’
- ‘Like dengue, which is also carried by mosquitoes, there is no treatment for the disease.’
- ‘It's even possible that she was bitten by an infected mosquito that managed to survive over the winter.’
- ‘The malaria parasite has to be able to reproduce in the mosquito in order to be able to infect humans.’
- ‘They share their environment with the mosquitoes who act as vectors for malaria.’
- ‘Another technique for fighting disease is the releasing of sterile mosquitoes.’
- ‘Humans can contract the disease when bitten by mosquitoes infected with West Nile virus.’
Late 16th century: from Spanish and Portuguese, diminutive of mosca, from Latin musca ‘fly’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.