Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An area in front of the stage at a rock concert, where moshing occurs.
- ‘They opened Saturday night's main stage event with hard hitting music that turned the dance floor into a mosh pit.’
- ‘They make their way forward to stand alongside the fans, and soon a mosh pit develops.’
- ‘We were singing our own stuff though, so people in the mosh pit didn't know what songs these were.’
- ‘We were down the front in the mosh pit (the first 10 rows of seats had been removed) but we had by far the best view.’
- ‘But the economics of the concert industry may jar fans harder than the mosh pit at the band's show.’
- ‘To keep warm, the locals resort to two reliable sources: geothermal energy produced naturally by the country's volcanic landscape and mosh pits.’
- ‘Walking into the airport is almost like being in a mosh pit at a rock concert; it was shoulder-to-shoulder people.’
- ‘It was one of those typical raging relentless mosh pits which some people enjoy.’
- ‘Natalie informs me that we'll be able to see her in the mosh pit and possibly doing some stage diving.’
- ‘Maddie moved up to thrash around in the forming mosh pit closer to the stage, but Austin chose to stay behind.’
- ‘Well, at most rock shows you can find a mosh pit - arguably the best place to spend your time.’
- ‘I've heard stories about people dying in mosh pits, and images of my head being crushed under hundreds of jumping feet keep pushing themselves through my mind.’
- ‘Those are the moments that bring out air guitar virtuosos and fill the dance floor, moments when mosh pits writhe and heads bang.’
- ‘Sorry, I appear to have put up the wrong picture here; this is actually the mosh pit at last week's Anthrax gig.’
- ‘A mosh pit, like the blogosphere, is a zone of controlled aggression, a civil space, after a fashion.’
- ‘The two guitarists leapt off the low stage and began a two-man mosh pit, guitars and all.’
- ‘Dedicated fans of Chinese rock music have found ways to listen, whether in mosh pits in Beijing, on overseas concert tours, or by picking up CDs and music over the Internet.’
- ‘There was a mosh pit in the middle of the room and people were starting to crowd-surf.’
- ‘That's because mosh pits are meant to be sweaty, violent places.’
- ‘The ad features a teenage boy in the middle of a mosh pit at a rock concert.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.