Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The origin and development of morphological characteristics.
- ‘While this process may be gradual in different cell types, certain cells undergo very rapid and complex morphogenesis.’
- ‘Cell adhesion and cell separation are important in the morphogenesis and development of higher plants.’
- ‘Rapid progress has been made in the understanding of key genetic elements controlling plant morphogenesis during the past few years.’
- ‘Light is important for plant growth and morphogenesis, affecting germination, seedling development, shade avoidance, flowering, and photosynthesis.’
- ‘During morphogenesis at any developmental stage, all plant cells require modifications of the cell wall structure.’
The formation of landforms or other structures.
- ‘But with the summer sun only 15° from overhead, and even the winter sun well above the horizon, how did mid-latitude periglacial morphogenesis work?’
- ‘Function addresses the issue of how the structure was selected to perform one or several activities, while fabrication deals with the biophysical processes acting during the morphogenesis of the structure.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek morphē form + genesis.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.