One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chemical agent able to cause or determine morphogenesis.
- ‘A morphogen is a diffusible substance that specifies the fate and activity of developing cells by its concentration.’
- ‘The Hedgehog proteins are secreted morphogens that provide positional information during the development of many multi-cellular animals.’
- ‘For example, many morphogens - molecules that direct cells to grow and differentiate during embryogenesis - are not water - soluble, so biologists know little about how they spread out during early development.’
- ‘Endocrine studies have shown that thyroid hormone is the principle morphogen controlling amphibian metamorphosis.’
- ‘He suggested that biological forms mirror patterns in the concentrations of hypothetical chemicals called morphogens.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.