Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A chemical agent able to cause or determine morphogenesis.
- ‘A morphogen is a diffusible substance that specifies the fate and activity of developing cells by its concentration.’
- ‘Endocrine studies have shown that thyroid hormone is the principle morphogen controlling amphibian metamorphosis.’
- ‘The Hedgehog proteins are secreted morphogens that provide positional information during the development of many multi-cellular animals.’
- ‘He suggested that biological forms mirror patterns in the concentrations of hypothetical chemicals called morphogens.’
- ‘For example, many morphogens - molecules that direct cells to grow and differentiate during embryogenesis - are not water - soluble, so biologists know little about how they spread out during early development.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.